What are Crowns?
A crown may be necessary if you’ve had trauma, breakage, cracks or decay that has damaged the structure of the natural tooth. Crowns are a tooth-like covering that fits securely over your existing tooth, allowing for the function and bite force to be fully restored. Crowns are used in restorative dentistry to replace the integrity of a tooth after a tooth has had damage, natural wear/tear, or a root canal. Sometimes, they are also used in cosmetic dentistry to enhance a tooth’s appearance, correct a person's smile, or fix a misshapen tooth.
Each crown is custom-designed with contouring and color in order to blend beautifully and naturally with the rest of your teeth. Dental crowns are always made specifically for your individual teeth and vary according to your individual tooth shape, color, length, width, etc. This allows us the artistic freedom to transform your teeth into your dream smile!
Benefits of Crowns
Dental crowns can be used for many different reasons in dentistry and therefore have a plethora of advantages when used properly. Some benefits include:
- Restoration of a cracked tooth
- Correction of misshapen teeth or smile
- Providing strength to a weak tooth
- Improvement of the overall appearance of a tooth
- Protection to a tooth after root canal
- Replacement for large/old fillings
Regardless of the reason for why a crown may be necessary, when it is, you can be sure that at our office you will get a dependable solution that will last for many years.
Are You a Good Candidate for Crowns?
Dental crowns are used for a variety of different reasons with great success. The majority of cases are ideal candidates for some form of crown restoration. These include:
- Cosmetic solutions for a tooth or smile
- Repairing a broken or cracked tooth
- Restoration of a dental implant
- Previous root canal therapy performed on tooth
- Desire to improve the overall appearance of their teeth
- Large cavity that requires more than a traditional filling